Tuesday 25 June 2013

The Beggar King - Oliver Potzsch

Written retrospectively. 

Having read "the Hangman's Daughter". I thought I'd cough up for this one too. I carried straight on from one to the other.

Reading reviews on Amazon, many people loved this. I didn't.  

My credulity was stretched to its absolute limits - it was in severe danger of twanging back and causing a nasty injury.  I got fed up with seeing plot developments set up 20 pages in advance - sometimes a great deal more.

I was angry, both with the author for some of the nonsensical tosh that I was expected to swallow, but also with myself, for continuing to read the drivel. I continued reading, knowing what was coming next, and knowing how cross I would be when it did. Why? Well certainly not because of the lyrical prose. No, nothing more than lost investment of time. I'd got that far, I'd put that much into it, I was bloody well going to finish it - however angry I got.

I'm not going to reveal any of the execrable plot developments - I'm too ashamed of having continued to read. But just take the title - "the Beggar King" - no-one's ever had that idea before, have they?

2/10 - a worthless waste of effort when I could have been reading 'Pride and Prejudice' for the 50th time.


No comments:

Post a Comment